Saturday, February 2, 2013

Within the last several years I realized that certain songs I listened to while driving or when I was at work evoked the same feelings and memories over and over again. Some of those feelings memories weren't that great but some were.  There was a time when I banished all music by Brian McKnight from my play list because his music reminded me of my ex-husband.  As a matter-of-fact most songs performed by Usher on his early releases reminded me of my ex.  It was a sad and pitiful sight.  I would immediately start crying and it didn't matter where I was.  I realized that I was torturing myself because I felt like I was supposed to mourn the end of our relationship.  WRONG!

In the end and many years later I realized I loved the music made by both Brian McKnight and Usher because they sang songs I could relate to and that I could actually sing without being too terribly off key.  However in order to realize this I truly did have to go through the stages of mourning so I could get all the craziness out of my system.  I should say that now I am a bit more cautious of the music I listen to when I am in a "situation".

No comments:

Post a Comment